ProfileAccording to the Statistics New Zealand Census 2013, 8,337 people, or 1.2 percent of the total population of Māori descent, affiliated with Ngāti Whakaue.
For people affiliating with Ngāti Whakaue and living in New Zealand on 5 March 2013:
- 46.4 percent (3,867 people) were male and 53.6 percent (4,470 people) were female.
- The median age (half are younger and half older than this age) was 26.6 years.
- 29.5 percent identified Ngāti Whakaue as their sole iwi affiliation, while 70.5 percent were also affiliated with other iwi.
- 27.3 percent could hold a conversation about everyday things in te reo Māori.
For people aged 15 years and over affiliating with Ngāti Whakaue and living in New Zealand on 5 March 2013:
- 48.5 percent stated that they had never been a regular smoker.
- 76.4 percent held a formal qualification.
- The median income (half received more and half received less than this amount) was $24,900.
- 70.4 percent living in main urban areas (populations of 30,000 or more) were in the labour force.